Chinaberry in Aiken was constructed in 1824 as a plantation home for Dr. William White Williams, who served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1830 to 1831. The home is one of only a few remaining landmarks in Aiken that coincide with the founding of the town. In February of 1865, the house was used as the headquarters for Confederate Major-General Joesph Wheeler’s cavalry.
John Converse of Pennsylvania purchased the property in 1926 to use as a retreat. It was part of the Winter Colony, where elite Northerners came to escape the cold months in the mild climes of Aiken. Converse christened the property Chinaberry, and it remains a private home today.
Many thanks to Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors for sharing this shot. Bill enjoys the singular distinction of being the only person ever to have visited all 1,400 of South Carolina’s National Historic Landmarks. He has published several helpful e-books which serve as invaluable travel guides to the Palmetto State.