The Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage sits at 220 East Morris Street in Anderson. The home was built in 1851 for Nancy Caldwell, who lived here for two years before selling it to Dr. William Johnson, a Baptist minister and advocate of women’s education.
Along with organizing several churches and schools around the state, Dr. Johnson served as chancellor of Johnson Female College, which later became Anderson University.
Mrs. Edward Morris bought the cottage in 1858. She lived here with her four daughters, and the home remained in the Morris family for 70 years. It served as a house museum in 1974 before its reincarnation as the Morris Street Tea Room in 1980.
The Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage is listed in the National Register:
The Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage was built ca. 1851 by Nancy M. Caldwell. The house is a perfect example of the “raised cottage” genre of houses which were built extensively in the nineteenth century. A one-story, raised brick basement elevates the house and gives the effect of a two-story dwelling. The façade has high wooden steps which lead to a pedimented portico on the main floor level. This central portico is supported by four square columns and is enclosed with a balustrade. The house stands out for several blocks due to its situation as an island with access streets on all sides.
The house was also home to Dr. William Bullein Johnson, a Baptist minister, leader, and pioneer in the area of female education. In 1830, he began a twenty-two year career as principal of the Edgefield Female Academy. In 1853 Dr. Johnson assumed to role of chancellor and teacher at Johnson Female University, the forerunner of Anderson College.
Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage: More Pictures