Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church — Pendleton, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Anderson County | Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
Completed in 1822, Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church in Pendleton is one of the oldest in the area. The bell tower used to contain a bell from the Seabrook, a ship which sailed from Charleston to Edisto Island during this time.
The bell was eventually donated to the Confederate Army to be melted down. The church also has a winding stairway, which leads to a balcony originally designated for slaves to worship.
There are many famous South Carolinians buried in the church’s cemetery. Mrs. John C. Calhoun, Thomas Clemson, founder of Clemson University, and his wife Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson, and Confederate General Barnard Bee are all buried here.
Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church Info
Address: 328 East Queen Street, Pendleton, SC 29670
GPS Coordinates: 34.651231,-82.777314