Fort Motte — Fort Motte, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Calhoun County | Fort Motte
This farm land is mostly what is left of Fort Motte in Calhoun County. Now extinct, the town is part of present-day St. Matthews. There are a few abandoned buildings along the railroad tracks, including the former jail.
The abandoned post office below once made up the heart of the town. The origins of Fort Motte go back to a military outpost during the Revolutionary War. A skirmish known as the Battle of Fort Motte took place near this forgotten community, lending the town its name.
A village was established here in the mid eighteenth century, and the town was officially incorporated in 1875. Fort Motte continued to thrive into the twentieth century. However, the arrival of the interstate replaced the town’s railroads, leading to the ultimate demise of Fort Motte. Little remains of the former town, but remnants of Fort Motte’s days as a thriving village can be seen in its vacant buildings.
More Pictures of Fort Motte
Fort Motte Info
Address: Town Square Street, St. Matthews, SC 29135
GPS Coordinates: 33.739255,-80.691713