Union County was named after the old Union Church, which served both Presbyterian and Episcopal congregations in the area. The church was built in 1765 near the present day town of Union, the county seat.
We are a federally-recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit that works to preserve the history of South Carolina’s historic, natural, and cultural landmarks before they are lost to time. This website serves as a permanent digital archive of over 2,300 South Carolina landmarks – and counting. Learn more about our work.