Our Photographers Contact Us
Our Patrons Please Give Today Add Images Add History Our Work South Carolina Picture Project

Charleston Battery — Charleston, South Carolina

SC Picture Project  |  Charleston County  |  Charleston Battery

Adopt A South Carolina Landmark
Charleston Battery

The Battery is a fortified seawall at the southernmost tip of the Charleston peninsula, where the Cooper River and Ashley River meet. With its scenic promenade and historic park, the Battery is easily among downtown Charleston’s most beloved landmarks.

Downtown Charleston Aerial, East and South Battery

Ben Sumrell of Awendaw, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

This strategic point was very important to the early history of Charleston. In 1737 Broughton’s Battery (later known as Fort Wilkins) was built here. During the during the 1750s, a seawall was constructed using large boulders, stone, and masonry. Broughton’s Battery was decommissioned and demolished in 1789, but when a new wall and its promenade were completed in the 1820s, locals still referred to it as “The Battery.”

Charleston's East Battery at Sunset

Jim Epper of Charleston, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Today the Battery is lined with historic homes, and its harbor-side promenade offers incredible views of Fort Sumter, Castle Pinckney, and the Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse.

Charleston Battery Aerial

Jonathan Ross of Nashville, TN © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

However the centerpiece of the Battery is White Point Garden, which received its name from the huge piles of sun-bleached oyster shells that originally covered the ground. White Point Garden boasts large, shady lie oaks and oyster-shell paths that lead visitors by statues, cannons, and memorials. The Williams Music Pavilion, a 1907 bandstand, sits in the middle of the park and still hosts concerts as well as weddings and picnics.

East Battery, Charleston

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Historic Pictures of the Charleston Battery

Charleston East Battery

University of South Carolina, George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection, 1880-1895

More Pictures of the Charleston Battery

Charleston Battery Aerial

Larry Gleason, Aiken Aerial Photography, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

White Point Garden - Charleston Battery, snow

David AvRutick of Charleston, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

White Point Garden - Charleston Battery, snow

David AvRutick of Charleston, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

White Point Garden - Charleston Battery

ashleymitchell by License from Shutterstock.com © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Charleston East Battery

Sean Pavone of Athens, GA © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Charleston Battery Seawall

f11photo by License from Shutterstock.com © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

East Battery - John Ravenel House

f11photo by License from Shutterstock.com © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

White Point Garden - Charleston Battery

blcay29 by License from Shutterstock.com © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Granville Bastion, Charleston Battery

Reflections on the Charleston Battery

Photographer Mark VanDyke shares of his experience capturing his photo below of the famous view: “I found myself on this morning wedged between two oleander bushes, backed against a wall, and lying down in the middle of a puddle to capture this photograph of Charleston’s historic homes along the waterfront battery. Needless to say, even though Charleston is fairly de-sensitized to camera-toting tourists like myself, I was receiving some very strange looks from folks jogging and walking above on the trail, as well as parking along the street on this particular morning! The Charleston Battery is lined with historic Antebellum southern homes, some as massive as twenty-thousand square feet.”

East Battery Street

Mark VanDyke of Herndon, VA, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Charleston Battery Info

Address: East Battery at Murray Blvd, Charleston, SC 29401
GPS Coordinates: 32.769281,-79.928964

Charleston Battery Map

Please Share Your Thoughts!

Did you enjoy this page? Do you have any information we should add? Send us your comments below — we can't wait to hear from you!

9 Comments about Charleston Battery

Lynn M. Kurzava says:
August 26th, 2019 at 12:43 am

I loved this page! I was only in Charleston once, the summer after a hurricane denuded all the trees on the Battery. I’m not sure of the year, but it was in the early 90s. So I missed seeing the city in its full glory, but everyone was friendly and the food and architecture were still fabulous! But I’m glad to see everything back to normal as I’m fairly sure (sadly) that I won’t be able to visit your beautiful city again.

SCIWAY says:
August 26th, 2018 at 12:40 am

What a beautiful comment to read Nancy, thank you for sharing a portion of your story with us! We are so sorry for your loss and hope you find peace in your memories and through photos!

Nancy England says:
August 25th, 2018 at 3:04 pm

My husband Fred was a submarine sailor, myself, a Navy wave, we spent many hours at The Battery, in the gazebo falling in love, planning our lives together. it lasted 56 years until he went home to be with his Lord April 2018. We forever love the Battery and Charleston.

Johnson Bjorseth says:
June 23rd, 2015 at 4:29 am

and you’ll definitely discover it.

Christine Wyatt Wood says:
April 25th, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Before I was born, my paternal grandmother left SC. She and her family made several westward migrations until they finally ended up in California, where I was born. But last year I visited my daughter and son-in-law, who make their home in Sumter, SC, and they took me to see Charleston. Although I'd never been there before, it was like going home. What an absolutely beautiful city. So much history! I hope to return many times.

Mike Farrell says:
September 22nd, 2014 at 10:39 am

Just this past weekend, we spent several (about 4) hours with my adult son and daughter at the Battery. We almost didn’t go, in lieu of seeing Patriots Point. We made the decision to go to the Battery, and we are so glad we did. This is an absolutely beautiful park, the trees and canopy is incredible. Every road we walked down we found stunning architectural features on these majestic homes. Simply said, don’t miss it. We’ll get to Patriots Point on our next visit.

SCIWAY says:
December 2nd, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Lynn, we would love that! Thank you so much. You can add it here: http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/

Lynn Mintzer says:
November 30th, 2013 at 11:03 am

I have a great photo of the battery, when the cannons were still in their original places against the seawall. Would you like to have it for your website?

Gerald Preston says:
March 28th, 2012 at 9:04 am

From 1964-1965 I was stationed at the shipyard while our submarine was being overhauled. I remember this areas with fond memories. It was a great time in my life and I will always remember it. My wife and I moved to Florida eight years ago from New Hampshire — I hope we can visit Charleston again soon.

SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
See Us on Pinterest

SC TOWNS, LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Adams Run Aiken Alcolu Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Branchville Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cayce Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Chesterfield Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Daufuskie Island Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Ehrhardt Elloree Eutawville Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Fort Mill Fountain Inn Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Great Falls Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hardeeville Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Hodges Holly Hill Honea Path Hopkins Hotels & Inns Huger Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Jamestown Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Lowndesville Manning Marion Mars Bluff McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinewood Pinopolis Plantations Pomaria Port Royal Post Offices Prosperity Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeland Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Santee Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stateburg Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Troy Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Ware Shoals Waterfalls Water Towers Wedgefield West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Woodruff Yemassee York