Our Photographers Contact Us
Our Patrons Please Give Today Add Images Add History Our Work South Carolina Picture Project

College of Charleston — Charleston, South Carolina

SC Picture Project  |  Charleston County  |  College of Charleston

Adopt A South Carolina Landmark
College of Charleston

The College of Charleston was founded in 1770 and chartered in 1785 to “encourage and institute youth in the several branches of liberal education.” Located in the heart of downtown Charleston, today the college is a renowned liberal arts and science school that has successfully retained its historic character while offering students state-of-the-art facilities.

Randolph Hall

Vanessa Kauffmann of Charleston © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The school is the oldest college or university south of Virginia and is the 13th oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. From 1790 until 1829, the college held classes in barracks leftover from the Revolutionary War.

Randolph Hall – College of Charleston

The Main Building, now called Randolph Hall, was designed by architect William Strickland and completed in 1829, giving students a proper academic building of their own.

Randolph Hall Charleston

Kathie Lee of Hollywood, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Noted Charleston architect E.B. White enlarged the building in 1850 as part of a campus expansion, adding six columns and giving the building its beloved appearance. In front of Randolph Hall stands an old cistern, seen above, which was built in 1857 to help control flooding and fight fires. Eventually this technology became outdated and the cistern was filled in and covered with grass. The Cistern Yard is shaded by live oak trees and is a favorite spot for students to relax and study. It is also the location of the College’s graduation ceremony each May on Mothers’ Day.

Randolph Hall Interior

Andy Hunter of North Augusta, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

In this view, taken by George Cook, you can see that during the Earthquake of 1886 that the wings that flanked the central portion of the building collapsed.

Randolph Hall, 1886

In 2017, the College of Charleston started a holiday light show which includes decorating Randolph Hall and the Cistern yard in lights. The now annual event, lasting roughly two weeks each December, has gained popularity and is quickly becoming a must see during the holiday season in Charleston. Animated music and lights play every hour from 6 to 9 p.m. with light refreshments served.

Randolph Hall Christmas, College of Charleston

Yvonne Price of Ladson, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Porter’s (Gate) Lodge – College of Charleston

As part of the expansion, E.B. White also designed and added the Gate Lodge, known as Porter’s Lodge (seen above), in 1852. The building complements Randolph Hall in its Roman Revival style and was added for the purpose of housing the college’s caretaker, or porter.

Porter's Lodge

John Diskes of Summerville, 2012 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Legend has it that college porter John Cahill remained on campus during the 1865 Union occupation of Charleston during the Civil War and guarded the school by requesting protection from Union Commandant, Colonel Stewart Woodford. The request was honored, and the College of Charleston was spared when so much of the city was destroyed.

Porters Lodge College Charleston

Vanessa Kauffmann of Charleston © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Today Porter’s Lodge houses faculty offices. The Greek inscription above the arch facing George Street bears the phrase, Know Thyself.

Porters Lodge Charleston

Vanessa Kauffmann of Charleston © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The open gates from George Street look upon the arched pathway, underneath the Porter’s Lodge, onto the Cistern Yard, and Randolph Hall beyond.

College of Charleston

Ted Jennings of Summerville, 2018 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Towell Library – College of Charleston

The college’s first library, pictured below, was built in 1855 of necessity, as by 1853 the campus was in dire need of a place to store its growing collection of books. The acquisition began in 1770 – the year of the college’s founding – when John McKenzie bequeathed 1,200 volumes to the burgeoning institution.

Towell Library at the College of Charleston

Connie Fowler of Mount Pleasant, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The collection grew but did not amass until Lingard A. Frampton gifted the college with 3,873 books in 1853. As a result, the state and city both contributed towards the funding of a library building.

Library College Charleston

Vanessa Kauffmann of Charleston © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The library was designed in the Classical Revival style by George E. Walker and also displays Italianate details. The arches in the windows of the stuccoed building are in symphony with the arches of Porter’s Lodge. The building was named for Edward Emerson Towell, an alumnus, former chemistry professor, and Academic Dean of the College of Charleston. Today the building serves as admissions offices.

Towell Library Side

Susan Buckley of Charleston, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Sotille House – College of Charleston

The Sotille House, shown below, is a Victorian manse built in 1890 by banker and merchant Samuel Wilson. It is known for its exquisite stained glass windows and intricate woodwork. The Sotille family purchased the home in 1912, and the College of Charleston acquired it in 1964. It has served as student housing and offices; today it is the location of the school’s Division of Institutional Advancement.

Sotille House

Vanessa Kauffmann of Charleston © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Erckmann House – College of Charleston

This frame building was constructed in the 1830s by Abiel Bolles, a scholar from Connecticut who opened the Charleston Female Academy shortly after his arrival to the city in 1807. Bolles built three frame houses for his academy: 5 College Way in 1826, followed by 7 and 9 College Way in the 1830s. The Erckmann House, seen here, stands at 9 College Way and was purchased by a surgeon from the Medical University of South Carolina, Dr. John Bellinger, in 1835.

Erckmann House

Susan Buckley of Charleston, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

For nearly a century, the home was owned by the Follin family, and the last Follin descendant to own the home was John A. Zeigler, Jr. From 1946 through 1971, Zeigler and Edwin Peacock operated the Book Basement here, which for years was Charleston’s only bookstore. All three of the buildings that comprised the former Charleston Female Academy were acquired by the College of Charleston in 1971. The college restored the historic buildings and now uses them for faculty offices. The Erckmann House serves as offices for the Department of Communication.

Today the residence is known as the Erckmann House in honor of Harry L. Erckmann (1878–1963), a College of Charleston graduate and member of the state legislature. Mr. Erckmann served as the college’s attorney and successfully persuaded the trustees to privatize as a means of avoiding integration. In 1949, after receiving applications from local black high school students, the college was awarded a new charter and Charleston’s city council transferred ownership of the college back to its board. It remained segregated until 1966. After the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare informed the college that students would be unable to borrow money if it did not allow minorities to enroll, it acquiesced and by 1970 had again came under state control.

Higdon Leadership Center – College of Charleston

Students are always invited to sit on the welcoming porch seen above, which serves as the Lee and Ann Higdon Student Leadership Center. The center is located in an historic Charleston single house built prior to 1817 for Nathaniel Farr and his wife, Katherine. The building is named for former college president Lee Higdon, who served from 2001 through 2006, and his wife, Ann.

Higdon Leadership Center

Andy Hunter of North Augusta, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Pi Kappa Phi Bell Tower – College of Charleston

Above, the Pi Kappa Phi bell tower stands at 40 feet tall. It was a gift to the college from the fraternity to commemorate the organization’s Centennial in 2004. The College of Charleston is the site of the fraternity’s Alpha chapter, and since its founding in 1904, members have also gifted the college with a memorial gate (1929), the clock on the pediment of Randolph Hall (1954), and a campus rose garden (1979).

College of Charleston Bell Tower

Terri Bowman of Mount Pleasant, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

William Blacklock House – College of Charleston

Located at the southern edge of the College of Charleston campus at 18 Bull Street, the William Blacklock House is one of the nation’s finest examples of Adamesque architecture. The three-story home was constructed in 1800 for William Blacklock, a wealthy merchant who was a member on the board of the Branch Bank of the United States in Charleston. The house was acquired by the College of Charleston in 1974 and has been restored as close to its original state as possible, it is used as the Office of Alumni Relations.

William Blacklock House, College of Charleston

Profreader of Wikimedia Commons, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

President’s House – College of Charleston

Originally known as the Reverend Robert Smith House, this pre-Revolutionary structure was home to Robert Smith, the first Episcopal Bishop of South Carolina, and coincidentally, the first president of the College of Charleston. The house was built in 1770 and was acquired by the college in 1965 by Herbert DeCosta for use as a residence for the president of the school. The house was occupied the following year and when president George Benson moved out in 2014, renovations began to fix water infiltration problems totaling $100,000.

President's House College of Charleston

Jayson Doyle of Goose Creek, 2019 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

National Register Sites – College of Charleston

Randolph Hall (interior, seen above), Porter’s Lodge, and the Library are listed in the National Register as part of the College of Charleston:

The historic campus of the College of Charleston contains three structures, the Main Building, the Library, and Gate Lodge, situated in an attractive setting of evergreen oaks, that achieve a certain degree of unity by means of the prevailing Pompeian red coloring of their stuccoed walls. The Main Building, designed by William Strickland and built in 1828-29, was a simple, rectangular two-story over elevated basement brick structure with a pedimented three bay wide projecting pavilion on the south (main) façade and gable ends on the east and west sides.

In 1850 Edward B. White added large two-story brick and stucco wings to the east and west sides and the present grandiose colossal portico, with six giant Roman Ionic pillars and arcaded basement, to the center of the main façade. In 1930 the west wing was extended to reach College Street. The Gate Lodge, also designed by White and built in 1852, is a rectangular two-story brick and stucco structure in the Roman Revival style. Four giant pillars of the Tuscan order rise to support the pediment that extends across the entire street façade of the structure. The Library, constructed in 1854-56 and designed by George Edward Walker, is a two-story brick structure in the mid-nineteenth century Classical Revival style with Italianate details, quoins, and round-headed windows. Inside, a central reading room rises two stories and is surrounded by a gallery.

College of Charleston Info

Address: 66 George Street, Charleston, SC 29424
GPS Coordinates: 32.783813,-79.937316
Website: http://www.cofc.edu/

College of Charleston Map

Please Share Your Thoughts!

Did you enjoy this page? Do you have any information we should add? Send us your comments below — we can't wait to hear from you!

2 Comments about College of Charleston

SC Picture Project says:
June 14th, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Bless you, Doug! We’ve fixed it – thanks! 🙂

Doug Ferguson says:
June 14th, 2019 at 11:27 am

Small correction to the wording of this story: The Department of Communication is spelled without the letter S. The error would be easy to fix.


Join Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Instagram
See Us on Pinterest


Abbeville ACE Basin Adams Run Aiken Alcolu Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cayce Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Chesterfield Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Daufuskie Island Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Erhardt Eutawville Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Fort Mill Fountain Inn Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Great Falls Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hardeeville Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Hodges Holly Hill Honea Path Hopkins Hotels & Inns Huger Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Jamestown Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Lowndesville Manning Marion Mars Bluff McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinewood Pinopolis Plantations Pomaria Port Royal Post Offices Prosperity Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeland Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Santee Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stateburg Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Troy Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Ware Shoals Waterfalls Water Towers Wedgefield West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Woodruff Yemassee York