Historic Walterboro is known for the many elegant homes that adorn its oak-lined streets. The Padgett House, seen here, was built around 1900 for James G. Padgett, a lawyer and South Carolina statesman. A graduate of The Citadel when the military college was located on Marion Square in Charleston, Padgett was briefly a teacher after being admitted to the state bar before practicing law in Walterboro. He also served two terms in the South Carolina Senate and was appointed to the Board of Visitors of The Citadel.
As a state senator, Padgett was instrumental in authoring a bill in 1919 petitioning for a “greater Citadel” to be located on a site along the Ashley River. In 1922 the “new” Citadel opened in its current location, and the Padgett-Thomas barracks are partially named for James G. Padgett.
The Padgett House is listed in the National Register as part of the Walterboro Historic District:
The Walterboro Historic District is a significant collection of properties located near the center of the town of Walterboro. The majority of the properties in the district were constructed between ca.1800 and ca.1945 and represent a wide range of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular design. The district is primarily residential in character, but also includes religious, educational, and public buildings. The visual appearance of the district reflects the historical development of the town, which was one of several South Carolina pineland villages settled during the early nineteenth century by planters in search of a healthful climate.