Rosenwald Consolidated School — Society Hill, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Darlington County | Rosenwald Consolidated School
This brick building in Society Hill was constructed in 1930 as the Rosenwald Consolidated School. Between 1917 and 1932, over 5,000 schools were built in the rural South to educate African-American children. They were called Rosenwald Schools in honor of Julius Rosenwald, then-president of Sears and Roebuck, who provided funds to assist in their construction.
This particular school consolidated students from three rural schools in the Society Hill area in grades grades one through ten. The school added the 11th grade in 1939 and the 12th grade in 1948.
Rosenwald Consolidated School received accreditation following World War II. When Rosenwald Elementary School was built in 1954, this building became Rosenwald High School, which integrated in 1970 along with other Darlington County schools.
Rosenwald High School closed in 1982, and the school building was sold and used for storage. Rosenwald Elementary School on Church Street added grades six through eight in 2006 and is now Rosenwald Elementary and Middle School. High School students in Society Hill attend school in nearby Darlington.
More Photos of Rosenwald Consolidated School
Historical Marker – Rosenwald Consolidated School
Rosenwald Consolidated School Info
Address: 410 Rosenwald Street, Society Hill, SC 29593
GPS Coordinates: 34.477162,-79.859277
You may not use them in any form without written consent.