This little post office in the Fairfield County community of Rion serves residents of this once-thriving quarry town. From 1883 until 1945, blue granite was mined here and transported along the Rockton to Rion Railway.
The two quarries in this area, Anderson Quarry and Rion Quarry, are listed in the National Register. Interestingly, the brick building is one of the few structures in this area not comprised of the South Carolina state stone.
Leave a Reply