This former cotton mill, called the Lexington Manufacturing Company, was built in 1890 along Twelvemile Creek and made of nearby blue granite. Production began the following year, with the mill operating 200 looms and 7,000 spindles to manufacture cotton bedding materials such as mattress covers. The mill grew in both the volume of goods produced over the years as well as the number of workers it employed. The mill changed hands in the 1920s and continued operating before finally shuttering in 1968.
The mill building was then used as a warehouse and was also the site of a boat manufacturing business for before being purchased by developers in the early 1980s. The former mill was then converted into commercial space in 1984, housing everything from restaurants to retail shops and offices. Today a brewpub overlooks the waters of Twelvemile Creek while art galleries, a salon, law offices, and even a gym occupy the remainder of the building, among other businesses. Now called Lexington’s Old Mill, the complex is a popular landmark in this Midlands city.
An earthen dam creating the Lexington Mill Pond, which backs up to Lexington’s Old Mill, was breached during extreme flooding in the first days of October, 2015 (seen below). Many of the businesses within Lexington’s Old Mill suffered severe damage as a result, and some were completely destroyed as water ravaged the building from the creek and 25-acre mill pond. Rebuilding efforts began as soon as the waters receded, and several businesses were back up and running within a few weeks of the disaster.
Presently, the pond is drained as the dam awaits rebuilding. Despite the setback, the historical mill building remains a premier venue for those in search of local art, music, beer, food, and shopping along the creek bank in the heart of Lexington.
More Pictures of Lexington’s Old Mill