The historic Anderson’s Mill along the North Tyger River in Spartanburg County, may date to the late eighteenth century, as water-powered grist mills were a vital economic tool in burgeoning communities during that time. However, the year the original mill was built on this property is uncertain, though a mill known as Tanner’s Mill was documented here in 1825 according to Robert Mills’ Atlas of the same year. According to the deed to the property, it then would have belonged to W.T. Tanner, who acquired it from David Tanner in 1822.
James Anderson became the owner of the property and its mill in 1831. The Products of Industry Census from 1850 through 1880 note an Anderson’s Mill here, grinding corn and wheat. Though the mill ceased operations in 1975, the current owners tranformed the property into recreational greenspace, even adding picnic tables. The mill is available for tours by appointment.
Anderson’s Mill is listed in the National Register:
Anderson’s Mill is a good example of a water-powered gristmill, a once important element in the economy of eighteenth and nineteenth century piedmont South Carolina. Although the history of Anderson’s Mill may possibly begin in the late eighteenth century, the majority of the mill structure and its machinery are believed to date from the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. Located on the North Tyger River, Anderson’s Mill is a one-and-one-half story frame structure covered by corrugated tin siding. The structure features a low gable roof, with a projecting pent roof along the north façade. Fenestration is irregular. The eastern façade faces the river and features a metal water wheel that generates the power for the milling process. Water from the river is diverted through the wheel by a nearby lock and canal. The structure consists of a basement, main floor, and attic story. Milling machinery includes a feed mixer, self-rising mixer, scales, corn sheller, and a raised platform with a large millstone. The mill was operated commercially until 1975.