Located 13 miles west of Cheraw on SC 9, Chesterfield is the county seat of Chesterfield County. The first European settlers came in the 1700s and by the mid 1800s, Chesterfield was a thriving industrial hub with with a blacksmith and a cabinet maker, as well as an iron foundry, harness shop, grist mill, and saw mill.
The courthouse was burned at the very end of the Civil War. For the next 20 years, county business was conducted and government records were housed at a Methodist church. A new courthouse was built in 1885.
Cheraw is the largest city near Chesterfield.