This historic home in Greeleyville originally belonged to the town’s founder, Samuel J. Taylor. In 1889, Taylor gave the home to his sister, Mrs. Wade S. Varner. Wade Varner served as Greeleyville’s first postmaster.
According the the sign in front of the home, Mrs. Varner operated a boarding house within the home for travelers passing through the town. It is suspected that the home is the oldest in Greeleyville.
Many thanks to Linda Brown for contributing the above photo as well as this information to the South Carolina Picture Project!
Historic Photos of the Varner House