The company built four textile mills along the Pacolet River, beginning in 1882. The completion of the office came later, in 1908. At the turn of the century, Pacolet Mills was the fifth largest textile manufacturer in South Carolina, and it was among the top 10 in the Southeast.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 2004. Among its most notable features are the Italianate terracotta roof and concrete pergola pictured above.