Glenn Springs formed in the early nineteenth century as a resort village centered around its mineral spring. John B. Glenn built a small inn and a few cabins on his land, which included the spring, sometime between 1825 and 1827. In 1838 a large hotel and spa replaced the first inn and became wildly popular among elite vacationers throughout the nineteenth century and into the early twentieth century. The Glenn Springs Hotel’s reputation as a desirable destination ensured the development of Glenn Springs, and by the end of the nineteenth century, the community boasted two churches, a store, and a post office. The hotel burned in 1941.