This congregation in the Allendale County community of Millett was formed in 1884, when Millet was still part of Barnwell County. Two local women, Olga Brabham Dunbar and Savannah Barker Bates, wanted a Methodist church in their community. They embarked on a fund-raising effort, even traveling to neighboring Bamberg County for donations.
Once sufficient funds were collected, a five-acre tract of land was donated for the new church by Mary and John Lafitte in 1885. A sanctuary was subsequently constructed on the property, and founder Ogreta Dunbar served as the church’s first communion steward.
The church took its name from the local stagecoach and post office – Speedwell. The future depot, Millett Station, for which the community was eventually named, had not yet been established.
Speedwell Methodist Church was pastored by supply preachers and originally belonged to the Allendale Circuit before becoming part of the Appleton Circuit in 1907. By the early twentieth century the first church was in need of replacement, and in 1922 construction began on the present church. Work on the new church was halted during the Great Depression but completed afterwards, and the building was dedicated in 1941.
The church maintained a steady membership for the next two decades, but by the 1960s, fewer and fewer people were worshiping in the rural church. In 1969 members voted to merge with the congregation of Swallow Savannah Methodist Church in Allendale. Services at Speedwell Methodist ceased by 1970, though occasional homecoming services are still held.