This church in Darlington was organized in 1839, and its neoclassical building was constructed in 1919. It is one of many Baptist churches that formed in the Pee Dee region between the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
Darlington County was settled in the 1730s by Welsh Baptists from Pennsylvania and Delaware who received a large land grant on either side of the Great Pee Dee River. These settlers quickly formed Welsh Neck Baptist Church.
From Welsh Neck Baptist Church sprung other Baptist congregations in the area, and Darlington County remained strictly Baptist until the first Methodists arrived near here in 1789.