Emory School was built in 1890 across from Emory United Methodist Church in Saluda. Established by Professor D.B. Bundy, the school graduated its first class of six students in 1896. The names of these students are memorialized in a plaque inside the building.
The school served students from the elementary level through high school and even briefly operated as a college in its early years. The last high school class graduated in 1937 when Saluda County consolidated its high schools.
The elementary school continued operating here until the 1950s. During this time, many rural schools closed, and Emory’s students transferred to school in town. Today the former school is maintained by the Emory Community Club. Meetings and events are held within the school’s hallowed walls, and ongoing fundraising and renovation work keeps the historic building in pristine condition.
Many thanks to Ralph Shealy, who provided us with much of the above information. He shares with us that he is a member of Emory United Methodist Church and that his father and his family all attended the Emory School.
More Pictures of the Emory School