This Georgian Revival home fits right in with the other grand manses in historic Aiken. Built in 1928 for Chicago Tribune owner Colonel Robert McCormick, Whitehall is noted for being designed by award-winning southern architect Willis Irvin of neighboring Augusta, Georgia.
The one-story, u-shaped house is divided into three sections, each possessing a gabled roof. Interior woodwork is believed to be from the home of the daughter of former vice president John C. Calhoun. Whitehall derives its name from the estate that previously sat on this site. The first Whitehall was lost to fire.
Whitehall is listed in the National Register:
Whitehall was constructed ca. 1928 for Colonel Robert McCormick, one of the owners of the Chicago Tribune. The house was designed by Willis Irvin of Augusta, who won a Gold Medal for Domestic Work at the 1929 Southern Architectural Exhibition with its design. It is believed that some of the ornate interior woodwork came form the home of John C. Calhoun’s daughter.
Whitehall gets its name form the old Whitehall estate on the ruins of which this house was constructed. Whitehall is a one-story, brick, U-shaped, Georgian Revival residence. Each of the three sections has a gabled roof. The two projecting wings are pedimented and have a boxed cornice with block modillions, round vents and Doric pilasters at the corners. The central section features a pedimented Doric portico sheltering a central entrance with a semicircular fanlight and sidelights. A Doric entablature extends across the central section. Fenestration is regular six over six with dentiled architraves.