Page’s Millpond in Dillon County was originally called Ford’s Mill in honor of Preserved “Zarv” Ford and his son Major William Ford, who constructed a dam here in 1782. The dam, which still stretches across Bear Swamp, once powered a gristmill and cotton gin.
The property remained with the Fords until 1873 when Joseph Nichols Page purchased it from his brother-in-law, Dr. C.T. Ford. Page then renamed the cypress pond Page’s Mill, built a second millhouse, and opened a large general store. Page added a post office in 1877 and became the community’s first postmaster. In 1907 the area surrounding the mill officially incorporated as Page’s Mill; however, in 1916 residents elected to change the town’s name to Lake View.
In 2014, the property featured 295 acres and included a cypress swamp with two beautiful spillways. The “lake” itself covers 60 of these acres. The mill no longer functions, but photographs can be taken from the shore. The millhouse shown here is the third to occupy the site; it was built by B.P. Parish, Sr. in 1934.
The simplicity and serenity of Lake View belies a fortitude unmatched by any other town or city in South Carolina. Lake View High School’s Class 1A Division II “Wild Gators” have brought home nine football state championships, eight baseball state championships, and one basketball state championship. The softball team has also earned a state championship – as well as three lower state championships. The school has earned its nickname, Home of Champions, fair and square. Such ferocity makes one wonder what “wild gators” lurk beneath the glassy surface of this exquisite lake.
Reflections on Page’s Millpond
Photographer Joan Beth Page, who captured both of the lovely scenes below, writes, “This is a rare photograph for our little town because we hardly ever get snow or an ice storm.”