This historic home, now featured in Ridgeway‘s Historic Walking Tour, was built by Mr. Robert Charleston Thomas in 1906. Its original Victorian style has recently been restored by the Robert F. Clyburn family.
The granite stone shown here was likely quarried at the Kincaid Anderson Mine in Fairfield County. This well-preserved example of a stepping stone – called a “mounting block” – was used to assist ladies when entering or exiting a horse-drawn carriage. Victorian-era dresses were long and cumbersome, making the ascent somewhat indelicate. This mounting block is located at the rear of the home.