James A. Suber established a sawmill and whiskey still near this location on a branch of the Enoree River called Princess Creek prior to the war. Suber then served in the Confederate army and added a gristmill to his complex upon his return from the war.
Suber’s son, Walter H. Suber, succeeded his father in running the business and built this gristmill around 1908. The same mill has been grinding corn for over 100 years by four generations of Subers.
The corn that is processed here is turned into cornmeal, grits, and animal feed and is sold locally. Not much has changed at Suber’s Mill since its doors opened. The buildings are original, and the mill uses water power to grind the cornmeal before being packaged and weighed by hand.
Subre’s Mill is open on Mondays from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Visitors are invited to see the mill and learn how cornmeal has been processed along the creek for more than a century.