Originally called the Charleston Navy Yard, the Charleston Navy Base was developed in 1901 on the property of Chicora Park in present-day North Charleston. The park, still incomplete when purchased by the government for a shipyard, was designed in 1896 by nationally renowned landscape architect firm, Olmsted Brothers. The brothers, John Charles Olmsted and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., learned landscape architecture from their father, Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of Central Park in New York. The Charleston Navy Base operated from 1903 until 1996. Today the property is divided between the state and the City of North Charleston.