St. Matthew’s Parish Episcopal Church was established around 1765 on a road halfway between Charleston and Columbia. The first priest of St. Matthew’s was forced to leave due to his involvement with the Patriotic cause. He returned in 1785.
The current building was constructed in 1852 on donated land. The side door at the front of the church was the slave entrance, which led to the upstairs slave gallery. St. Matthew’s remains an active church and is part of the Diocese of South Carolina.
More Pictures of St. Matthew’s Parish Church