Located on Main Street, the current home of Greenwood Community Theatre (GCT) was originally built in 1934 as a movie theater. Today, the renovated facility is a cornerstone for downtown Greenwood‘s revitalized cultural district.
Long-time residents of Greenwood remember when a bottle cap paid the price of admission to a movie at the old theater. They also remember “Chilly Dillies” from the concession stand. This local treat was a big dill pickle served up in a cup of ice so it would be extra cold and crunchy.
The advent of shopping malls brought hard times for the downtown movie house. Business was flagging in 1978 when the community theater group purchased the building and converted its use to live theater. Support for much needed renovations came with the city’s decision in the early 2000s to anchor its downtown revival with historic properties. With its strong tradition in community entertainment, the theater was a natural priority for an extensive facelift.
After being dark for 18 months to remodel, the lights came up again in February of 2007 for Anything Goes. Renovations preserved the original terrazzo tile floor in the lobby. Improvements included seating capacity for nearly 300, better access for people using wheelchairs, new riggings, drapes, the addition of a catwalk, and an upgraded sound system.