Bethune Presbyterian Church — Bethune, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Kershaw County | Bethune Presbyterian Church
The town of Bethune – originally known as Lynchwood – was established in the early nineteenth century by settlers from the Highlands and Hebrides Island of Scotland. These settlers attended a nearby church, Pine Tree Presbyterian Church (no longer extant), which was formed some time after 1820 in nearby Cassatt. When Lynchwood was renamed Bethune in 1901 to honor Daniel Murdock Bethune, who allowed a railroad to be built through his property, local Presbyterians established a congregation of their own.
The new church was called Bethune Presbyterian Church, named for Daniel Murdock Bethune’s father, also named Daniel Bethune. The elder Bethune had been a leader in both Pine Tree Church and in his community. The church building was completed in 1901 on land donated by Daniel Murdock Bethune’s brother, Neil Alexander Bethune, and J.A. McCaskill. Several members of Pine Tree Church and Bethune Presbyterian are interred at the Scotch Cemetery, including brothers Daniel Murdock Bethune and Neil Alexander Bethune.
Bethune Presbyterian Church Info
Address: 206 Blackmon Street North, Bethune, SC 29009
GPS Coordinates: 34.417688,-80.348326