The church is named for Martin Dials, a Laurens native and veteran of the Revolutionary War. Its first congregation, known as the Dials Methodist Society, was organized at Dials’ home in 1808 and was influenced by Bishop Francis Asbury, then an itinerant preacher who delivered sermons by traveling to communities on horseback.
The congregation grew rapidly and soon began meeting in Dials’ log cabin near Rabun Creek. In 1835 a new meeting house was constructed on land donated by Dial and the name of the congregation was changed to Dials Church. The present sanctuary, which is located on the same spot as the meeting house, was constructed in 1860.