This simple church in Blenheim was built in 1834 as Great Pee Dee Presbyterian Church, founded by Archibald McQueen. It is considered one of the oldest – if not the oldest – remaining church buildings in Marlboro County. Two local Presbyterian churches later formed from this congregation – Bennettsville Presbyterian and Blenheim Presbyterian churches.
The church building was sold to an African-American congregation in 1891 and called Pee Dee Union Baptist Church and later, Pee Dee Missionary Baptist Church. The church’s first pastor, the Reverend Furman Peterkin, served Pee Dee Missionary Baptist until 1927.
The church was restored in 1945, and a new church building was completed on the same site as the historic sanctuary in 2008. Called the New Pee Dee Missionary Baptist Church, the modern church building sits in front of the original building. The churchyard contains the graves of members from both Great Pee Dee Presbyterian and Pee Dee Missionary Baptist churches.
Updated Pictures of Pee Dee Missionary Baptist Church