York is the county seat of York County. Known as the White Rose City, it was settled in the 1700s by pioneers from York County, Pennsylvania. In turn, the Pennsylvanians traced their city’s founders to English areas under the House of York, which had a white rose as its emblem.
The Houses of York and Lancaster (represented by a red rose) battled each other for the English Crown in the late 1400’s in a conflict most history students will recall as the “War of the Roses.”
Originally known as Fergus Crossroads, Yorkville became the name after a courthouse was established. Near the turn of the 20th century, the name was shortened to York.