This abandoned building in the Williamsburg County community of Salters still bears traces of its name, the C.E. Moseley Store. According to contributor Linda Brown, the store was built in 1921 by C.E. “Joe” Moseley.
Moseley ran the store until 1939, when Bert Moseley took over the store and operated it until 1952. At that point Moseley moved to a larger building across the railroad tracks and continued running a store from that location until his death in 1975. His son, Frank, then took over the store and ran it until 1990.
The store is located across the street from the Salters Depot, a strategic location for a business to serve passengers waiting to travel this line of the Atlantic Coast Railroad.
Reflections on the C.E. Moseley Store
Sarika Mosley shares this history from C.E. Moseley’s daughter, Nancy Mosley, recorded in 2014: “C.E. Moseley is Clarence E. Moseley, and one of his many children is still alive and resides in Kingstree, SC. Clarence was of Scottish heritage, and his wife, Daisy, was a native Cherokee.”