Collins Park was given to Barnwell by the Robert O. Collins family in the year 2000. The land was once the home William Gilmore Simms, Jr., son of celebrated writer William Gilmore Simms. Joseph Porter purchased the property from Simms in 1919, and the land was eventually bought by Robert Collins.
The park is located on the corner of Main Street and Marlboro Avenue – affectionately remembered as “Porter’s Corner.” The corner used to be a popular meeting place for local nurses, who would spend time here chatting while their children played. Collins Park is open to the public, and is dedicated to the famous sons and daughters of Barnwell.