William Mason Smith House — Charleston, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Charleston County | William Mason Smith House
This imposing Regency manse in downtown Charleston was built between 1820 and 1822 for William Mason Smith. Smith was the son of the Right Reverend Robert Smith, rector of St. Philip’s Church, the first Episcopal bishop of South Carolina, and the first president of the College of Charleston. A faithful member of the church his father led, William Mason Smith was instrumental in helping to rebuild St. Philip’s following its burning in 1835. Smith was a planter and the owner Smithfield Plantation on the Combahee River; he built this house as his town home.
The three-story stuccoed home was designed by English architect William Jay. Features of the home include piazzas on all three floors concealed with masonry to give them a more formal appearance. An arched window was built into the mason work at the end of each pizza. The columns on the pizzas ascend in proper order, from Doric on the ground level, Ionic on the middle level, and Corinthian on the third level. The house is presently owned by descendants of the Smith family.
More Pictures of the William Mason Smith House
William Mason Smith House Info
Address: 26 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401
GPS Coordinates: 32.772281,-79.930250