This simple farm house in Conway dates to 1932. It was built by Charles Troy Dew and his brother, Will Dew, and it was first occupied by Charles and his wife, Annie Sue Williams Dew. Charles Troy Dew worked on the Atlantic Coast Railroad and also farmed the surrounding land. Will Dew planted pecan trees and pine trees on the family’s tract of 100 acres. The pine trees were used for turpentine, which was sold to boat makers in Georgetown.
Charles Troy Dew was friends with Strom Thurmond, who used to visit the home and entertain the family on the front porch. Following the death of Annie Sue, Charles Troy Dew married Bertha Brown. The couple raised seven children in this house – five children from Dew’s first marriage and two from his marriage to Bertha. The home continues to be owned by descendants of the Dew family.
Many thanks to Hugh McLaren, grandson of Charles Troy Dew. McLaren contributed the photos and information for this page. Photos below include an image of the home’s driveway shortly after it was built in the 1930s and a picture of Charles Troy Dew and Will Dew.