Today this apricot two-story building in downtown Columbia is home to the elite Conservatory of Dance. However, when it was constructed in the latter part of the nineteenth century, it served as a bank. After the Columbia, Newberry, and Laurens Railroad was chartered in 1885, the railroad company leased the second floor of the building for office space.
Many of the other buildings used by the CN&L Railroad in Columbia were constructed in the vicinity of Lady and Washington Streets. This building, along with a trestle crossing the Broad River, are there only structures from the CN&L Railroad remaining in the capital city. The railroad company was purchased by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1924 and again by CSX Railroad in 1984.