This ornate Greek Orthodox church in downtown Columbia began in 1936 when Greek immigrants established a community in the South Carolina midlands and began worshiping together. By 1939 the members of the small congregation had acquired a frame house for their church services. The church was called Assumption Greek Orthodox Parish by 1942 and became an official member of the Archdiocese of North and South America.
The church as well as the Greek community in Columbia grew from that point, requiring the congregation to build a larger house of worship at Sumter and Calhoun Streets in 1949. Once the new church was built the congregation changed its name to the Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity. In 1988 the church began holding its annual Greek Festival, which attracts thousands of people to partake in Greek culture.
By the turn of the new century, the church population was in need of yet a larger church. In March 2011, this ornate $6 million dollar church was consecrated in a Thyranoixia, or door-opening ceremony. Present at the ceremony was the Metropolitan Alexios of the Metropolis of Atlanta, of which the church is a member. The Metropolitan oversees congregations in eight Southeastern states. The ceremony also included Archbishop Demetrios, a leader in the Greek Orthodox Church in America. The previous church remains on the premises and is used for smaller services.
Interior Photos of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
Colorful iconography is a part of the Greek Orthodox tradition. The belief of God as the creator is expressed in elaborate, ornate art work found withing most Greek Orthodox sacred spaces. Below are some examples from Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.