Rockville Presbyterian Church often is referred to simply as Rockville Church. Along with Grace Chapel, it is one of only two churches in the Rockville historic district. Built in 1850, Rockville Presbyterian remains an active church today.
The historic image below depicts Rockville Presbyterian as it appeared originally. This stereograph view shows an elaborate steeple, which was used by soldiers to look out for enemies on the river, and a differing stair design. The steeple and stairs were destroyed in the Hurricane of 1893 and were never replaced.
The rear of the church, seen below, is the first view that visitors get when traveling down Sea Island Yacht Club Road. The large metal object seen to the left was a ship buoy that was cut in half and once used as a chicken coop by a local resident.
Across the sandy road from the church is the fellowship hall. Since the church remains active, different bible studies, children’s classes, dinners and receptions are held here.
Rockville was established as a summer resort in 1824, and much of its architecture is designed to tolerate the summer heat. Rockville Church is no exception. Raised foundations, large porches, and tall windows make the most of South Carolina’s cooling sea breeze.
Rockville Presbyterian Church is listed on the National Register:
Rockville, one of Charleston County’s oldest surviving summer resorts (ca. 1824), is important architecturally, agriculturally, militarily and in the areas of transportation and recreation. This summer community’s serene, slow-moving, lifestyle is reflected in its architecture and landscape. Although houses vary in size and degree of architectural importance, nearly all have spacious porches, raised foundations, and large central hallways designed for summer comfort and relaxation.
The buildings within Rockville’s Historic District have obvious visual unity. All are well ventilated to take full advantage of sea breezes. Several houses appear to have been year-round residences with architecture adapted for cold weather but still well-ventilated for summer use. The district also includes two churches. Live oaks draped with Spanish moss and palmettos dominate the landscape and add to the quaint atmosphere of the community.