Our Photographers Contact Us
Our Patrons Please Give Today Add Images Add History Our Work South Carolina Picture Project

Hampton — Hampton, South Carolina


SC Picture Project  |  Hampton County  |  Hampton


Adopt A South Carolina Landmark
Hampton

The Town of Hampton was established in 1878 simultaneously with the founding of Hampton County. Both the town and the county were named for Governor Wade Hampton, III. Governor Hampton, considered by his supporters as the “Savior of South Carolina” due to his effort to end Reconstruction, even laid the cornerstone of the courthouse in October of that year.

Hampton SC Depot

Building located along the rail line in Hampton.
Gazie Nagle of Charleston, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Prior to 1878, Hampton County had been part of Beaufort County. (In the early twentieth century, Hampton County was segmented to create Allendale and Jasper counties.) The town, which was originally called Hampton Courthouse, received its official charter the following year; Hampton Courthouse was later shortened to Hampton by the post office (seen below).

Hampton Post Office and Depot

Hampton Post Office and Depot along the rail line
Ann Helms of Spartanburg, 2009 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Hampton depot (seen below) served passengers along the Hampton and Branchville Railroad. The rail line was chartered in 1891 and used steam engines until the 1950s when it switched to diesel. The H&B, as it was called, transported lumber until the 1960s; at that time it primarily began carrying coal to the Canadys Power Plant near Walterboro. The plant closed in 2013, halting rail services from the H&B.

Hampton Depot

The Hampton depot served the Hampton and Branchville Railroad until the 1960s.
Gazie Nagle of Charleston, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

After the advent of the railroad, churches were built in Hampton, two hotels opened, and the town also boasted two doctors and two banks. In 1948 the town clock, seen below, was installed. The clock was a joint project of the Loan and Exchange Bank (now Palmetto State Bank) and the Town of Hampton. Its four 30-inch faces sit atop a 20-foot high bronze structure in the middle of historic Lee Avenue.

Hampton Clock Downtown

Hampton’s town clock stands on Historic Lee Avenue.
Andy Hunter of North Augusta, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Hampton retains several traditions from its earliest days. The town is home to one of South Carolina’s longest continuously-running newspapers, the Hampton County Guardian. The newspaper was founded in 1879 by Miles McSweeney, who would later serve as South Carolina’s governor from 1899 through 1903. Hampton also hosts the Hampton County Watermelon Festival each June. Founded in 1939, the festival is the oldest continuous festival in the Palmetto State.

Historic Hampton

This image of Lee Avenue, circa 1950, shows the historic Palmetto Theater at far left.
Thomas T. Faucette, c. 1950 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The above photo shows a mid-century view of Lee Avenue. It was captured by Thomas T. Faucette, and SCIWAY thanks his son Steven Faucette of Williamston for sharing it with us.

Hampton Map

Please Share Your Thoughts!


Did you enjoy this page? Do you have any information we should add? Send us your comments below — we can't wait to hear from you!

One Comment about Hampton

Nancy Lee says:
October 7th, 2017 at 3:00 am

Enjoyed and appreciated the report. Keep up the good work!




Landmarks by Town, Type

Abbeville ACE Basin Adams Run Aiken Alcolu Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cayce Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Chesterfield Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Daufuskie Island Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Erhardt Eutawville Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Fort Mill Fountain Inn Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Great Falls Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hardeeville Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Hodges Holly Hill Honea Path Hopkins Hotels & Inns Huger Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Jamestown Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Lowndesville Manning Marion Mars Bluff McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinewood Pinopolis Plantations Pomaria Port Royal Post Offices Prosperity Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeland Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Santee Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stateburg Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Sunsets Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Troy Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Ware Shoals Waterfalls Water Towers Wedgefield West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Woodruff Yemassee York